Interim Associate Superintendent of Teaching and Learning (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Administrative Assistant for Curriculum and Instruction (email@example.com)
As Park City School District transforms schools to meet the needs of the future, it is critical we examine the ways we prepare and engage students. Assessments and grades are two ways we provide feedback on student performance. We believe grades should reflect the proficiency of a student in relation to a specific standard. ”Standards-based learning” is a method of providing feedback that is purely academic in nature and a more accurate reflection of what the student actually knows and can do. The guide below provides parents the rationale to why we are transitioning to standards-based learning in Park City School District.
Park City School District now offers online courses through Utah Students Connect. Click here for more information.
The Utah State Office of Education also offers online courses. Click here for more information.
Utah Core Update
Teachers and administrators in Park City School District are actively working to effectively implement the new Utah Core Standards in mathematics and language arts K-12.
Middle grades teachers (6-9) have been working since 2011 to develop the teaching strategies and learning activities that would meet the rigor and depth of learning with the Core. Student achievement has demonstrated that teaching fewer concepts at a deeper level is deepening student understanding.
Secondary Language arts teachers have been working the last three years to develop critical thinking and the new writing requirements of the Core. This year, they will be joined by science and social studies teachers to develop cross-curricular activities.
The district has adopted new programs for mathematics in grades K-6. My Math (K-5) and Math Connects were selected after a yearlong curriculum review conducted by teachers, administrators, and parents, under the direction of John Hall, assistant principal of Ecker Hill Middle School. Additional information will be provided to parents along with access to online resources.
This year, the new end of year state assessments in math, language arts and science will be implemented. We anticipate having access to sample questions that teachers can use as classroom assessments in October. Upon their release by the State Office of Education, the district will organize several parent information nights to provide additional information.
For more information regarding the Core Standards:
- Pioneer is Utah’s online library featuring general reference information, links to Utah specific resources, and connections to additional library information. If students are logging in from outside of the school, they will need to ask their librarian for the password.
- Surweb is the State of Utah Resource Web. It provides resources including collections of images, online media shows, testing, and learning segments.
- E-Lab – Activities for 3-8
- Education Place – K-8 resources for teachers, students and parents
- Funbrain – Education site for K-8 kids and teachers
- I Know That – Learning skills for life
- KidsClick – Web search for kids by librarians
- PuzzleMaker – Create customized word search and crossword puzzles
- Scholastic – Games, contests and books
- Science Fairs – Ideas for your science fair project
- Smithsonanian – A place to explore, discover and learn
- Time For Kids – Discover the world
- UEN Student Center – Educational web sites, activities and television programs
- U.S. Department of Education
- USOE Curriculum information
- How to Compile a Bibliography
Career and College Planning
- The Career Key: Choosing a Career
- Intended for the use by career planners ranging in age from middle school to adult.
- College Board
- This site serves as one of the major gatekeepers, so it’s important to know what this website has to say.
- FastWeb focuses on college scholarship information and college/applicant matching.
- O*Net Career Exploration Tools
- The nation’s primary source of occupational information.
- One of the premier sources of information about postsecondary education.
- SparkNotes is the internet generation’s answer to Cliff’s Notes.
- Vocational Information Center
- An amazing amount of career, vocational, and technical information.