Park City School District
Park City School District

Proof of Residency

A public school district is responsible for providing educational services for children of school age who are residents of that district.  The child and their parent(s) (birth, custodial, adoptive) or legal guardian must provide documentation showing that their primary residence (the house in which they live) lies within the district/school boundaries.  For information on Non-Resident Enrollment, scroll to the bottom of this page.

To ensure that PCSD students are receiving educational services from the appropriate district, all students in all schools are required to provide proof of residency at back-to-school registration.  Proof of Residency is required every year, and if the student moves during the school year.  Unscheduled home address checks may be done at the district’s discretion to verify residency. This information is kept confidential and will be retained for the current school year only.  By submitting proof of residency to your child’s school, you certify that the information you provide is true and accurate.  Evidence that false information was provided will result in immediate withdrawal of the student from school, no exceptions.

Park City School District Boundary:
Boundary Map

Proof of Residency Form:
Proof of Residency Requirement Form and FAQ
Formulario Distrito Escolar Park City Requisito Comprobación Residencia en español


Proof of Residency Requirements:

TWO proof of residency documents are required, and MUST INCLUDE:

  1. The physical home address where the student and parent/legal guardian lives (not a PO Box), and
  2. The parent’s or legal guardian’s name (if divorced, it’s the primary custodial parent or the custodial parent with whom the student lives the most; legal guardians must be appointed by the U.S. court system).

Printouts of electronic bills are acceptable if it includes the service address, account holder’s name, and the billing date.  Financial information may be blacked out for your privacy.  Schools have the right to request additional documentation.

RESIDENCY REQUIREMENT: Complete a Residency Form (above) AND provide TWO documents to each child’s school.

You may provide ONE requirement from Column A -or- TWO documents from Column B.   Any combination of TWO documents from columns A or B are also acceptable.

Column A:

  • Most recent Mortgage Statement AND record of most recent mortgage payment
  • Current Rental/Lease Agreement AND record of most recent rent payment
  • If renting “month-to-month” or lack a written lease, provide a notarized statement from a landlord or home owner affirming that the child(ren) and parent(s) live at the address, which includes length of stay, AND record of most recent rent payment (or one document from Column B if there is no rent payment)
  • Purchase contract or closing escrow papers for new home purchased within last 45 days AND one document from Column B
  • If approved on open enrollment, provide a copy of your Non-Resident Enrollment/District Transfer approval letter AND one document from Column B

Column B: (* must be dated within 60 days)

  • Utility bill*, new service order*, or service verification letter* from the gas company, electric company, water company, cable or satellite television company, home telephone or cell phone service company, home internet service company (must include the residence/service address–will not accept PO box)
  • U.S. Postal Service change of address confirmation*
  • Payroll stub*
  • Bank or credit card statement*
  • Letter from an approved government agency* (housing assistance, unemployment check, SNAP, Medicaid, CHIP)
  • Homeowners or Renters Insurance Policy dated within the past year
  • Property tax bill dated within the past year (residential primary improved property)
  • Proof of car insurance dated within the past year (must include physical address)
  • Voter registration documentation dated within the past year
  • W-2 form dated within the past year

The following do not establish residency:
– Powers of Attorney
– Letters from friends or relatives
– P.O. Box or UPS mail box in the district boundaries
– Property or business owned in the district boundaries

NOTE:  The proof of residency requirement does not apply to homeless students.  The McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act provides education services to homeless children and youth who lack a fixed, regular, adequate nightly residence. See below for more information.


Homeless Students:

The McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act and PCSD Board of Education Policy 10010 ensure the educational rights for students who are homeless.  The term “homeless” means individuals who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nightly residence.  Students may be eligible to receive services under the McKinney-Vento Act if they or their family live in any of the following situations:

  • Sharing housing with other persons due to loss of housing or economic hardship.
  • In a motel, hotel, or weekly rate housing due to the lack of alternative adequate accommodations.
  • In an emergency or transitional shelter (homeless shelter, domestic violence shelter, youth shelter).
  • In a car, park, campground, abandoned building, bus station, or similar public or private place without adequate facilities (not designed for heat, electricity, or water).
  • In temporary foster care or awaiting foster care placement.

If any of the situations above apply to you, you may complete a Student Residency Questionnaire and submit it to your school’s administrative secretary, registrar, or counselor:
Student Residency Questionnaire
Cuestionario de Residencia del Estudiante en Español

A district representative will contact you to discuss your residency status.  If/when your situation changes, and you acquire a permanent residence, please contact the district’s representative to update your residency status.


Non-Resident Enrollment:

See the Park City School District Boundary Map.  Note that the following areas are NOT located within our boundaries:  Tollgate Canyon (and parts of Red Hawk Ranch) and all areas east of Hwy 40 and east of I-80, including Promontory, Brown’s Canyon, Deer Mountain, Todd Hollow, Tuhaye, Mayflower, The Retreat, Park’s Edge and the east side of Jordanelle Reservoir.

Utah law allows non-resident students to attend a district school if that school or class has excess capacity.  Non-resident enrollment information is available on the district’s Open Enrollment page.  The Open Enrollment Application is available online or at the District Office.  Please note the deadlines for submitting the application and notification of decision.  The application and processing fee must be submitted directly to the District Office.

You must be approved for non-resident enrollment BEFORE the student can be enrolled at a school.


Reference: Utah Code 53A-2-201 and 53A-2-202, PCSD Policy 10010–Student Enrollment. If information becomes available that an enrolled student does not meet any of the criteria listed above and cannot furnish the necessary documentation of residency, that student will not be considered a legal resident of the district and enrollment will be terminated. A separate registration form and subsequent documentation must be completed for each child you are registering.